Friday, October 21, 2011

Wendover

A couple of weekends ago Andy and I headed out to Wendover for a night. We aren't much for losing our money, so we spent a bunch of time at the historic airfield. Here are a bunch of pics:

On the way out there we stopped at the salt flats to take some pics and admire the oddness of the salt. I'd actually not ever stopped before; it was pretty amazing.
This guy was trying to take pictures of himself, so I went over and offered to take a few for him...we had passed him on the freeway riding his motorcycle - when he started talking I asked him where he was from...he was from Sweden and was very thankful for the help. In retrospect I wish I had asked him more questions, I bet he had an interesting story to tell.
 The sunset was quite gorgeous.
 These are pics from the view tower at the airfield...I am freakishly afraid of open heights, but I made myself climb this bastard, and I am so glad that I did. The textures, the old paint, the view...It really was quite cool.
 It's beautifully sad to see the state that some of the buildings are in.


 Welcome to Wendover!
 I LOVE nose art!


 And there she is...the Enola Gay Hangar. They have started restoring it - the side near the tower on the right is nearly finished...but to be honest, I like the old rusty version better.
 And when I woke up the next day, I thought I was on the planet mars...it was one of the most bizarre sunrises I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment