Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Patriot Day 2011

Before I continue with this post, I must first say that I find it sad that we have a patriot ‘day’. As a patriot I feel strong support and love of my Country every day of the year. Should we not embrace every day, as a patriot day? Should we not wear are right hand over our heart and look to old glory every day of the year? Should we not at some point of any given day pledge allegiance? As a child I remember the morning routine of saying the pledge, and I wonder if they even do that anymore. I have started reciting the pledge to Lailah whenever we see a flag, in hopes that she will be thankful for its significance.

This September 11th marked the 10th Anniversary of the devastation that occurred at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, and it’s engrained in my memory as though it just occurred yesterday.

I visited the 'Healing Field' in Sandy on my way to work the other day - a span of red, white and blue in memory of the 2,977 victims that perished on that day. And when I walked through row upon row of flags all labeled with the names, ages and brief biography of the victims, I started to look at the bigger picture - the 6,217 men and women who have fought and died for our Country as a part of Operation Enduring Freedom (1,753), Operation Iraqi Freedom (4,444) and Operation New Dawn (20 so far). Where are their flags? This September 11th I spent my day thinking about them, and the men and women that are currently over seas, that they may return safely to their families.


O! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war’s desolation.
Blest with vict’ry and peace, may the Heav’n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our Trust"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

1 comment:

  1. I love the treatment you did with these pictures, neat effect. (Also the ones of Lailah like this). Very cool! Lynnie

    ReplyDelete